Auto Loan Options
- Used or New Auto Loan: No matter your vehicle preference, we have the financing you need to save money and stick to your budget.
- Refinance Your Car: Ready to lower your payment on your current auto loan? Refinance with UCU.
- First-Time Auto Buyer Program: If you have limited or no credit history, we make it easy to buy your first car with competitive rates and manageable terms.
- YOLO Loan: You only live once, so why not snag the car of your dreams at a more favorable monthly payment?
Auto Loan Rates
||APR* As Low As
||Minimum Loan Amount
||Term in Months
||Estimated Payment per $1,000
|New and Used Auto
||Up to 48
|First Time Auto Buyer
When you're purchasing a vehicle, the right loan is vital.
UCU Auto Loan Features
- Competitive rates as low as 1.74% APR
- Get the same low rate for new and used vehicles
- Buy new, used, or refinance your current auto loan with flexible terms
Auto Loan Resources & Tools
- Monthly budget calculator: Having a budget for your finances can help ensure you are able to afford your next auto loan.
- Search for the right vehicle online: Car buying just got easier with our auto buying services. Use one of our four services to make your next car purchase quick and easy.
- Understanding your credit score: The higher your credit score, the more likely you will get a favorable rate. Be sure you’re knowledgeable about your credit score before securing your next loan.
- How to apply for a loan online: We make the auto loan process simple. Watch this how-to-video to see how easy it is to complete our online loan application.
- Get financial counseling: As a member of University Credit Union, you have access to free financial counseling. Take advantage of this service to help you achieve your financial goals.
Auto Loan Programs
- GAP Protection: If you find yourself in a bind because your car’s been stolen or totaled in an accident, Guaranteed Asset Protection pays the difference between the amount your car insurance covers and the remaining balance on your auto loan. Insurance companies may only be willing to pay the market price of your car, but GAP Protection pays off your loan completely, covering your car in its full value.
- Mechanical Breakdown Protection: When your vehicle breaks down, mechanical breakdown coverage is like a good friend who helps you out of a jam. This extended warranty includes emergency roadside assistance, rental car allowance, and battery coverage.
- Payment Protection: Debt protection could safeguard your loan if you fall victim to an unfortunate event by helping cancel your loan payment obligations, up to the contract maximums. This means you or your family won’t have to worry about making your loan payments in the event of an extended disability, involuntary unemployment, or death.
Frequently Asked Questions About Auto Loan Rates
What is a good interest rate on an auto loan?
The best interest rate for you will depend on your credit and the type of car you purchase. With rates starting as low as 1.74% APR, we are committed to helping you secure the best interest rate for your auto loan.
Is it better to finance a car through a credit union or dealership?
In most situations, you’ll be better off securing your auto loan from a credit union instead of going directly through the dealership. Dealerships often inflate their interest rates to increase their profits. Credit unions are not-for-profit organizations, so our focus is on helping you save.
How do you get a good rate on an auto loan?
Here are a few tips to consider, that could help you get a lower rate on your auto loan.
- Check your credit score before applying and see if there’s anything you can do to improve your score.
- Refinance your current loan to get more favorable terms.
- Apply with a co-borrower or add a cosigner, so you have a stronger loan application.
- Consider getting a shorter loan term, which often comes with a lower rate.
What should you consider when choosing an auto loan?
When choosing an auto loan, you want to consider these two factors:
- Interest Rate: You want the lowest interest rate possible for your auto loan so you can reduce the amount of interest you have to pay over the life of your loan.
- Loan Term: Longer loan terms generally come with lower monthly payments and higher interest rates, so you’ll pay more over the life of the loan but less each month. The opposite is true for shorter loan terms.
How do auto loans work?
The purpose of an auto loan is to help you finance a vehicle, instead of paying for the vehicle in cash.It is a secured loan, meaning the car is used as collateral, so if you default on your loan payments, your lender can repossess the vehicle. For the duration of your loan term, you pay off the loan in equal monthly installments.